S.M.A.R.T.E.R. Goal Setting
I think that everyone can relate to setting a goal, but failing to accomplish it at one time or another in life. For some it is a chronic issue. How many times have
you made a New Years resolution... mine was often cutting out sweets... but within weeks you fall into temptation and your resolution goes out the window. Perhaps your goals are too vague and/or lofty. They are more like hopes and dreams than smaller, attainable goals. You have the big picture of what you want, but are lost in the details. Maybe your intention is there, but you haven't figured out a strategy that will help you move from idea to accomplishment. Two and a half years ago I learned the strategy of S.M.A.R.T.E.R. goal setting and it has been a life changer for me as well as my clients. I have used it with clients to help them accomplish the goals they have for themselves in order to achieve a thriving life. So let's take a look at how it works.
- Be clear, concise and detailed about exactly what your goal is.
- Identify the quantifiable parameters of success so that you can track your progress.
- Create a step-by-step, detailed plan of action
- Ask yourself -> Is this achievable within my means?
- You are far more likely to follow through on your action plan with goals that you can see completing in the foreseeable future.
- Ask yourself -> What is your emotional investment? Goals that you are more passionate and fired-up about are the goals you are more likely to achieve than goals that you just think you should achieve.
- The more in line your goal is with your lifestyle, values and needs, the more likely you are to continue driving towards achieving the goal and the more likely you are to be satisfied with the result.
There you have it. This is the framework you need in order to set and achieve your goals!! Though this process may seem simple, if you take the time to dig deep, get honest with yourself and really invest your time in this process, you will find that it could take up to two hours to go through this framework. It will absolutely be worth it though. If that seems daunting, find a friend or family member to talk through it with... they will be able to offer perspective that you may not have seen, which can be a valuable asset to this process. If you are still feeling lost, overwhelmed or confused by this process, have no fear, I am here!! As a certified life coach, I have been specifically trained to help walk you through the process of goal setting... whether you are wanting to train to run a marathon, save up money to take a trip around the world, or overcome your social anxiety so that you can attend your sister's 40th birthday bash celebration in six months. Goal is just a fancy word for that 'thing' you want to achieve that will bring you more joy, fulfillment, passion and drive that will make you feel more empowered to continue to THRIVE in life! If you are ready to take that step, contact me today and I will become your biggest cheerleader as you run the race towards the fulfilled life you envision!